Sunday, May 2, 2010

Le TexMex Tuteur or The Tale of The Tomato Cage

Last weekend we had a truly Texas experience.  My in-laws came down for the weekend and we headed to do some exploring since gardening season is upon us and we all have lots of fun projects in the works.  I had heard from a neighbor about this gardening place near Pecan Grove, an old golf community only a few miles SW of Houston, Enchanted Gardens.  We geared up and headed in that direction.  The place was pretty "country", befitting to the location. 


Facade of TX town decorated a corner of the nursery
Petting Zoo keeps the kids entertained while we shop
These are fabulous and I will be going back for them.

We ate lunch at The Swinging Door... a barbecue joint that has been around for at least 20 years and only 3 miles away from the nursery.  They claim to have the best barbecue in TX, and every review I've read about the place seem to agree with that claim.  There were very few items in the menu and the barbecue sauce was served the only way barbecue sauce should be served:  piping HOT!


After lunch we hopped over to Wild West World, less than 2 miles away.  I am not sure what to call that place.  It looked like a ranch owned by very creative collectors.  On one side there was an "old town" line up of shops with names like Petticoat Ranch, Talavera, Kemosabe, and Tombstone Sale Corral.  On the other side was another TX old town facade housing a Farmer's Market.  And sprinkled throughout the place were metal works portraying life in TexMex country...





From this little excursion, I came home with an idea.  Tomato plants are so ugly and scraggly... Here is what I thought I could do to make them fit in my patio design. Get yourself a few tomato plants, a huge pot and a tuteur...



BEFORE

Enlist the help of your Mr. Darcy
Add a bunch of these cool little organic fertilizer spikes
Voila:  Le TexMex Tuteur

20 comments:

Mary Ann said...

i missed the previous post but you look so beautiful, love your hairdo. thanks for taking us to a day excursion as well...have a great week...verbena cottage

Unknown said...

You made me want to go to Texas!!! What a wonderful post. I loved every single picture. The one with tiny goats is my absolute favorite. I also love your idea to plant tomatoes on your patio. I think it will look amazing! Wishing you wonderful week. ;-)

My Galveston Cottage said...

I wasn't aware of this place -- thanks for the introduction. Love the idea for the tomato plant. I think I'm gonna adopt it, if you don't mind! best, -s

Cashon&Co said...

okay, this was so fun! first i love your tomato plant cage thingy idea....that looks gorgeous!! you gotta show us some of your prized tomatoes from that plant next!
also, i have never been to that town, well it looks like a real old-west kind of place...how fun. i wish TX wasn't so big and i could drive down today!

Unknown said...

I love this so much, now I want to do that!!! What's better than fresh tomatoes in the summer? Seriously..best idea!

Pemberley said...

Love those pots!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking me with you on your fun day out! I love bbq! I will have to tell Hoss to get us some of those tuteurs for our tomato plants too - they're lovely! Happy Monday, friend!

Pauline Wiles said...

Fun day! For some reason I'm tickled to bits by your photo of the two baby goats. At least, I think they're baby goats??

Sarah Esther said...

What a GREAT idea for tomato plants! I love it! They really are pretty ugly, but that will make them a sort of garden art :) Your texMex adventure is a photog's dream!

*Chic Provence* said...

What a great, fun and productive weekend! keep us posted on those tomato plants..tres elegant!

bisous!
Kit

HAMPTON HOSTESS said...

I'm liking your tomato planter-very chic. Can't wait to see it filled with ripe red tomatoes! have a great day! Barbara

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Very clever. Why didn't I think of that? ... but I'm so glad you did. Looks like a fun weekend! Please visit my blog when you can and sign up for my giveaway!!

Sandra said...

I love your tomato plant idea! And just think how pretty it will look when you have red tomatoes. Keep those great ideas coming!

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

I make my husband grow the tomatoes by the pool equipment since it is fenced off from the rest of the yard...now I can grow them out in the open;)...thanks for the inspiration!

Enjoy!
Cathy

Kathysue said...

Very good idea, I only wish my tomatoe plant would grow big enought for a plant cage. I planted one very small yellow pear and some oakleaf lettuce around the bottom in a pot but it is not very big so I am not sure I am going to need a cage. Kathysue

nelya said...

After your great planted herb pot, I went out and got a handful of herbs to plant in my little garden patch. So you know what I'm doing next- tomato plants! This looks beautiful and delicious and it looks like you had a great family outing. Hmmmm....I've never had Texas BBQ...

joanna said...

Wonderful fun day and love the old west buildings and all -- the pottery you planted up is gorgeous.

Have a Happy Outdoor Wednesday and looking forward to see them grow in another Out door post...

Joanny

Ms. Bake-it said...

You make me yearn for Texas! Enchanted Gardens looks like a great place. The next time I visit Texas, I hope to go there. The metal arbor and bench combo in the grassy area across from the farmer's market is exactly what I have been looking for. What a shame I live so far away! The only ones I have found have the bench going across so you cannot walk under the arbor. Sounds like you and your family had a great day. I like your idea of a tomato cage much better than the typical ones.

~ Tracy

Renee said...

Very interesting places you went to. Lots of cool things to see.

Cindy said...

I LOVE your tuteur! I've been wanting some of those! That will be great for your tomatoes.

It's so funny, as I was looking at your photos I thought...this has to be Texas...I'm learning so much about different areas of the country just by reading blogs. It's like every state has their own look and feel to it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails