Wednesday, June 23, 2010

The Living Room Edition


If you read my blog, than you already know about the Living Room Edition of my Designer Challenge starting next week.  If you are new to The Shiny Pebble, welcome!  Pull up a chair and visit a while, we have lots to share here.  A few months back we started a series geared towards showcasing the design work of some fabulous designer bloggers.  Eight such talented people came up with a version of my dated dining room, representing THEIR design aesthetics.  Along with their design, they submitted the answer to some questions I posed to them.  All very insightful and inspirational stuff.

Now the challenge has been re-issued for my Living Room.  The designers for this challenge may be familiar to you:

6/30 Crystal (Plush Palate)
7/7 Kellie Cashon (Cashon & Co.)
7/14 Elie Fournier (Punctuation Mark)
7/21 Will (Bright Bazaar)
7/28 Laura Ingalls (Decor to Adore)
8/4 Marija Stephens (Holding Court)
8/11 Cassity (Remodelaholic)
8/18 Erica Cook (Moth Design)

 Here is what the room currently looks like.  We moved to this house eight months ago, and have not done a thing to the inside.  I have, with the exception of a $10 dollar mirror, bought nothing for the house.  All of the furnishings were transferred from a very different home in Tulsa.

dMy current living room

 This living room is actually our family room.  It is part of a casual great room floor plan, with the breakfast room to the right and access to most parts of the house.  We keep the furniture close to the wall of windows because of the weimeraners, who love to stand on the windowsills if they see something of interest on the other side.

 When we moved into this house, it was time to replace the large glass top and wrought-iron coffee table with something more toddler friendly.  So we just used the ottoman and chairs from my old bedroom.

chair at previous house Old bedroom
bedroom 2Old bedroom  -  I had to add this photo so you all can meet Kitty Kate.  She is very shy and doesn’t make an appearance very often.

You will find that many of the pieces from my old bedroom made it to the living room at our current home. I had a formal living room at the old house, but I also redistributed the furniture from that room because its Tulsa/French Country style and scale did not belong in my current Modern French home near the TX gulfcoast.  I am trying to streamline the look of every room in the new place.  My bed currently has next to zero pillows on it.  :)

But back to the Living Room Edition…

a My current Living Room

 The room configuration is open and uneven, which makes it for a challenge when placing the furniture.  Add to that the fact that my husband insisted that we keep the dogs away from the windows, and we end up with this.  A huge void in two sides of the room – which honestly works for us as the little man loves riding his tricycle in this room, unencumbered.  You may have noticed the baby gates…  mostly they are there (all 6 or so of them) to keep the dogs from going into the wood floors in the house.  What can i say… I live with an engineer.

I can’t wait to see what the designers come up with.  So come back Wednesday, June 30th and see what fabulous Crystal from Plush Palate has in store for us.

23 comments:

Karen said...

This should be a lot of fun. I'll bet you are excited to see what could be in store for your rooms.

Tonia Lee Smith said...

You have some great contenders this round...but I'm kinda partial to this first group.

Allie and Pattie said...

Oh I can't wait to see this. I just posted about some change for us and I have a feeling I'll be doing the same thing! (I LOVE the zebra bench)
xoxo Pattie

Bring Pretty Back said...

How fun and exciting!!!

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Oh fun...looking forward to seeing what the designers come up with!

Ann said...

Looking forward to the creativity!

Have you given the designers any info on your likes & dislikes?

-Ann

Sandra said...

Love seeing Kitty Kate!

Sandra

lisaroy said...

I can't wait to see the ideas they come up with! You have some really gorgeous pieces throughout your home! : )

Karena said...

Catherine,

This will be more fun for all of us!!

Karena
Art by Karena

Coryanne Ettiene | Kitchen Living with Coryanne said...

oh cant wait to see how it turns out -- I love kitty kate, so darling. We have your living room tiles in our front reception room...via southwest darling. I finally have gotten around to posting something for you on my site. xx

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Can't wait to have a go!

The Buzz Blog said...

Can't wait to see all the great ideas these decorators come up with and be introduced to their style!

Anonymous said...

I want to know first, if you have hired any of the designers to start on your dining room? You have SO many great pieces to work with I can imagine the LR is going to be spectacular too!!

Kelly Frances Dunn said...

I love the piece saying hello in the recessed area to the right of the fireplace. The longhorn pillow and the bench it's on AND the mirrored end table are great at well. Nice job with doing "nothing", it's proof that great pieces can go anywhere :)

Pemberley said...

Looking forward to next week and a brand new series of Design Challenge. Catherine I think you need some theme music!!

Mona Thompson said...

Can't wait to see what they come up with for your living room. It was a lot of fun following the dining room designs. I'm sure it will all be over the top! Have a great weekend. Mona

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

So much fun, will be some long days for you until the date... Kitty Kate {what lovely name!} is a cute girly!
Have a wonderful weekend with lots of sunshine. xx

Little Emma English Home said...

Hi Catherine, I see much potential in your living, so much space and light. I'm really curious to see how your designer will transform it!! Which one will win the challenge?? Enjoy a lovely weekend xoxo

Bring Pretty Back said...

Use the carry a tune in a bucket!! Hee! hee!
Kristin

Leigha said...

Oh, love those cow pillows!

Hazel from Hazel Loves Design said...

This all sounds like so much fun!! Although your home is adorable already!! :) Hazel

Unknown said...

Ohhhhh...can't wait to see what they come up with!!! I'm a big fan of Kellie Cashon's so will be checking back on July 7th!

ps: love the house plant!

WhisperWood Cottage said...

Exciting! I look forward to seeing what they come up with!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails