Friday, July 9, 2010

Wall Treatment for My Private Oasis


This weekend, Susan Fox from Love Where You Live will be featuring moi and my little private space: my office.  I invite you to pay her a visit to check out my digs.  While you are there, look around a bit.  Susan is a field editor for publications such as Traditional Home, Better Homes & Garden, Remodel, Renovation Style, Kitchen & Bath Ideas, and as such she has access to some fabulous properties.

Meanwhile, in Shiny Pebble land, I have compiled a few ideas for my office.  Its color came with the house --  standard builder’s blah.  I originally thought about painting it a deep deep rusty brown, to make it nice and cozy.  Then, this Summer, I was reminded of the hot, stuffy, humid days of Houston and decided I needed something cooler.  Heck, I need something downright wet! Lacquered walls!!!


Notice how this treatment requires that the trim be also painted in the same color and shimmer as the walls.  I am loving that!  I think I would do the wood just one shade darker.  But that is just me, it might not really be needed.

I probably would pick a tad teal-ish shade of an acqua blue, as I love peacocks and hopefully the look would turn out more regal than retro.  The Peacock Blue from the first  picture in the above collage is not much en Vogue in newer homes being built in my area, but I think it would look AMAZING! When paired with a lighter color, so I read, it takes its cues from the coast and becomes a bit more casual.

Or  I could go with Farrow & Ball’s Hague Blue a la Miles Redd, as it appears to reflect just the right amount of yellow when the sun hits its lacquered form.

Regardless of the actual color I end up choosing, the real problem with this type of wall treatment is the prep required for a flawless effect.  The cost effectiveness of getting a masterful artist at my home to do the deed will have to be balanced against a commercial product like Phillip Jeffries Ltd lacquered wallpapers.  I am in love with the striated version (top right) of these vinyl wallpapers.  But I am thinking I could get away with Graphite (below) as well.

Now, if any of you have had a chance to work with either method (vinyl wallpaper or lacquering of walls), I would love to hear from you.  I am open for any color choices as well.  And for a better view of my space please go visit Susan at
Love Where You Live, and tell her I said hello!


Have a great weekend, everyone!

22 comments:

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Well, I have had both. Even the wallpaper will show a lot of flaws if the walls are not almost totally perfect. Love the look, but very hard to maintain. The trouble with the paint is you can't get any scratches, dings or nail holes that you want to repair. Almost totally impossible. Love the blue/teal colors, and especially with yellow and orange. A successful wall treatment that I liked was to paint the walls the color I wanted, then give it a swirl coat of clear gloss. Really helped to camouflage any imperfections on the walls and I loved the way the light bounced off of it. Hugs, Marty

Blondie's Journal said...

Congratulations...how lucky you are to be chosen by Susan! I'll pop over as soon as I can.

I love all the ideas you have for the walls. The first few pictures of the rooms in blue are my favorite. Our master once was gray with peacock blue, so I have been down that road. It was quite elegant and then we lightened the whole house up. Best of luck deciding! :-)

xoxo
Jane

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Thanks so much for stopping by. I am so happy you are going to join the cloche party. They are always so much fun and so full of inspiration. Look forward to seeing what you come up with. Hugs, Marty

Ann said...

It's fun to see what you would like, Catherine!

What I notice about the 3 teal-ish lacquered walls is that in the first photo, the walls seem to radiate and bounce light back to you, while the second & third absorb the light. I think it's great that the colors are not aqua and gray! Yeah! (Aqua has been my favorite color forever, but even I am tiring of seeing it everywhere!)

I am off to visit Love Where You Live...

Happy Weekend to you, too!

-Ann

Cashon&Co said...

Laquered wallpaper? I've died and gone to Heaven! So excited to go see you at Susan's ..... On my way now....

Decor To Adore said...

I have devoted all of today to research and study for your project. Good news! You're not afraid of color. :)

Allie and Pattie said...

Catherine, I LOVE and have wanted laquered walls for some time (I'm saving that bit of info for my hubby after we move). The teal would be amazing- can't wait to see the reveal
xoxo Pattie

AlexC said...

Hello!
I have been reading you for awhile and really like your blog.
I think I almost passed out when I arrived at this post! We are painting two facing walls in the bedroom with this color! I have bought "Caribe" from Behr and it is sitting in the garage ready to go! My partner is concerned that it is very dark, so the other two walls will be a light taupe/beige matte paint. I am thinking about putting a stripe or a pattern with the gloss over coat. Does anyone have a product name for a good, clear gloss?

Will send photos when complete!

Cheers!

pretty pink tulips said...

I'm gaga about Laquer!!!! And that blue color is the bomb! Have you seen the new Town and Country - the Boxwood house in Atlanta is to die for --- check out the color in the bar (think you would love it) and for affect, check out the red library with brass edging. BEYOND!!! Have fun!!! xoxo, Elizabeth

Hill Country House Girl said...

The colors you feature are all luscious - seriously, I never use that word but they are! Just gorgeous. Hope you figure out how to make one of them work for you!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

Came to you via Susan....you have a wonderful space and it looks like you are going to make it even more special! It is so nice to meet you.
Penny

Coryanne Ettiene | Kitchen Living with Coryanne said...

I love the colours, cannot wait to see the finished product. Off to see you at Susan's, dying to see your space.

Karen said...

I love the colors you are considering. You can't go wrong with any of your ideas, but it is always hard making that final decision, isn't it?

Charlotta Ward said...

Catherine I love this! And you know I really mean that, because that is the colour I chose for your dining room as well. I think you should go for it! It will look fab.

Off to read your first living room challenge post now and then over to Susan's.

Big hugs and kisses.

xx C

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Great inspiration...cannot wait to see what you do....and loved the glimpse into your lovely office space!

Leigha said...

Oh, I vote laquered peacock blue walls!

OneCraftyFox said...

I love your choices Catherine!! I have really been feeling the browns lately and I love pairing brown and blue.

Have a fantastic week :)

Pemberley said...

I have never tried the laquer on the walls or high gloss either, but I heard it is not easy. You need to sand and prep the walls and they will show every flaw. Maybe an oil based paint would work better? Lot's of good luck on this one!

Splenderosa said...

C...just do it! I once had a dark dusty blue bedroom, it looked like the inside of a jewel box. Really sumptuous. I would never use anything but a high-gloss paint on my walls (including sheetrock/drywall), it's beautiful. Unless you have a band of gypsy's banging around inside your home it will be beautiful. Also, think about fabric, it's forgiving. xx's

Averill said...

I've heard vinyl wallpaper is MUCH simpler to install (and easier to remove) than lacquering. It's also cheaper. Phillip Jeffries has some awesome choices. Of course, color is a bit more limited....

If you're hunting for paint colors. BM's Slate Teal is AWESOME. It's actually the color in my husband's office and is a wonderful teal with just enough gray to make it feel moodier and more sophisticated.

Anonymous said...

I love that peacock blue!
I'm visiting from New Friend Fridays :)

Unknown said...

Hi,
I'm coming over from Trendy Treehouse and am your newest follower. I've been mesmerized by your photos and have been hanging out at your blog for a while now. Very nice.

Have a great weekend!

Lisa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails