Sunday, April 18, 2010

Garden Trek Series - Episode 4

This week's Garden Trek episode is really one of my favorites.  We had this face that used to hang on a wooden fence at our house in Tulsa.  My husband built a stacked stone reservoir under it and Boston Ivy surrounded it.  Unfortunately I don't have a good picture of it, but you will be able to spot it in this picture, if you look at the fence area right under the tree in the middle of the yard:

BEFORE - I am linking this post to Metamorphosis Monday and Outdoor Wednesday
At this house, we have a side yard that is simply an eyesore.  Specially because it sits right next to the courtyard leading to the front door.  When we first moved in, this area was a bed of rocks housing several dead or dying bougainvillea plants.  Mind you, this bed is flanked by buildings and sits in the darkest side of the yard - North!  How can a tropical blooming species thrive in such location?!  I don't think that the previous owners knew much about gardening...


I have seen something similar done in gardening shows, but this was going to be a bit of a challenge.  The face weights approximately 150 lbs of solid concrete.  And we do live in hurricane land, so we had to be a little ingenuous.  My Mr. Darcy dug a huge whole and filled it with 100 lbs of concrete.  He then set an 8 foot 4''X4'' pressure treated post in it.  Afterwords, he added two blocks of 4x4s to offset it from the bushes that we would then plant behind it.  The idea is to have the face float out of the hedge.



We then set out to figure out which plant material to use.  We could have chosen any tall bushes, but the supply and cost made us select Pyracantha.  I love that plant!  Even though it has thorns, this shrub produces gorgeous fragrant white flowers in the Spring, which grow into berries in the Summer.  The berries turn a lovely shade of orange by Fall and small birds feed on them thru Winter.  We planted six Pyracantha, maybe a couple of feet apart.  They will grow into each other very quickly.  We probably used too many of them, but wanted quick results.

AFTER
Steve will add a wire spallier in the back to ensure that the plants grow in the right direction.  He has also spray painted the pole with camouflage green rustoleum.  We are still debating on whether or not we'll be adding a reservoir underneath it to get the water flowing.  I have plans to only use white flowering material on this side of the house... azaleas, white hydrangeas, and a climbing rose.  But like everything with gardening, we will be doing it slowly as the plant material becomes available.

I hope you've enjoyed this episode of my Garden Trek series.  If you haven't entered my lovely giveaway, please go here and do so now.



Also, don't forget to check back on Wednesday, when we start our new series on The Shiny Pebble Designer Challenge, or: Please, make this pebble shine again.  Blog world's most popular and talented designers will be featuring their visions for my dining room on a weekly basis, right here.  You won't want to miss it.

22 comments:

Allie and Pattie said...

Hmmm, I've been looking for something fast growing for a trouble spot- you may just have given me my answer! Thank you!
xoxo Pattie

Splenderosa said...

Pyracantha is an excellent choice, given the heat of summer in an enclosed space. And it grows. There's a house on Claremont between Westheimer & San Felipe which has always had this beautiful facade of pyracantha, I think they clip it with fingernail sissors it's so perfect. Wonderful big back garden area for your son. Good job, Mr. Darcy et al.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely wonderful! Can't wait to see it all grown in and that magnificent face floating out from it! WHERE did you find that face?

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

you are off to a good start on this project! i think if you put the right plants/flowers here, that it will become a very lovely spot, instead of an "eyesore". thank you for dropping by my blog & leaving the sweet comment. i am now a follower of yours, as well!!!

The Shiny Pebble said...

Hi everyone!
Pattie - I hope it works for you. I have grown it as far North as Tulsa OK, where it did quite well

Splenderosa - I need to go ck it out! I figure it will give me a run for keeping this thing in tip top shape

Kelly - I found that one at a garden center in Tulsa. The funniest thing is that the previous owners had the matching one but never hung it. I think I have seen it online too. try googling it.

Cathy - I've seen your perfect garden... so you probably know some good ones. Would love to hear your ideas. :)

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

This is fabulous!! And creative. I am looking for something for along our fence one one side.

Marija said...

I go back and forth between loving your garden face and being totally freaked out by him ;)

I think he will look amazing as your shrubs/hedges grow!!

carissa said...

such a fantastic idea! love it. i always love everything you do - whether it's inside or out! the new series sounds great.

Unknown said...

I adore you garden treks...and the face that watches over this corner of your garden as well!

OneCraftyFox said...

Looks like another busy weekend of gardening. Nice that your Mr. Darcy did all the digging :)

Gwen Driscoll said...

Oooh, love it. Going to be beautiful. I love your plan and can't wait to see more. Thank you for all your kind comments this weekend. You are a doll!

Talk soon.

G

Anonymous said...

That's going to be gorgeous. What a lot of hard work.

Linnea said...

What an interesting blog you have!

Coryanne Ettiene | Kitchen Living with Coryanne said...

Stunning as always darling. I have to have that man in my garden, such a character!

Atticmag said...

That's a stunning focal point for your garden -- I truly love concrete garden art of that type. Jane F.

escapade said...

Love traditional garden spaces like this - its going to look so beautiful when it all grows in!

Becky K. said...

Excellent solution to an empty space.

I love the green against the brick!

Becky K.
Hospitality Lane

eileeninmd said...

Great idea and you have a lovely yard.

Jocelyn said...

Wow this is going to be a beautiful spot.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

LV said...

You may not have the best garden spot, but seems you have great ideas to make it work.

bj said...

Wow...this looks great !!

Donald's Garden said...

I LOVE it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails