Thursday, February 11, 2010

Dogwood

A beautiful Summer Sunset from our Balcony
After 9/11 we fled Jersey City to beautiful Knoxville, TN.  We found a 45 year old property in Lake Loudon and thought we had stumbled upon paradize.  I can honestly say that was a utopic lifestyle -  Out in the countryside, in the middle of nowhere, with my husband and dogs and surrounded by panoramic woodland/lake views.  This was my first experience living outside of big American cities.  (I have lived in a few small towns/villages both in Brazil and Europe, but never in the States).

Lake Loudon in front of our house

Life slowed down considerably, and I learned to observe the seasons.  This is where my interest in gardening started to bud.


A planted grass amongst the wilderness


Early Fall

My dogs' first Snow

45 years of daffodils and a dear friend who is long gone

We have moved a few times since then, but forever that little spot at the foothills of the Smokey's will fill my heart with bittersweet memories.  And to repay this cosmic grace, I see every garden I have tended to, as a place to put a little bit of myself in so that others can enjoy when I am long gone.

It is a rainy, cold day in TX.  We recently moved here, and our home's original flower beds have been destroyed by the unusually cold weather and the unheard of "blizzard" we had sometime back in November.  Perfect weather for planning my new garden.  I will be posting updates periodically.  Please, come back to take a peek.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails