Thursday, February 18, 2010

Personal Style

Eric Zoolander
Over and over again, my readers/friends have contacted me requesting more 'Fashion' entries.  It seems that we are all so busy and engaged by other demands that it is that much easier to just go somewhere (maybe here?) where people have done the leg work needed to keep up with all of the trends and have it spelled out for us.  No muss, no fuss. 

Well, I could do an entry on the mixing of patterns for Spring or on Hollywood stars picking up a trend a couple of seasons before it reaches the masses.   Or I could be really cutting edge and give you a preview of what is to come this Fall by reviewing the designers presenting at NY's Fashion Week.  But I think I can do better than that.  I can direct you to a place uncluttered by the cacophony of flying by fads - I can help you find your Personal Style (PS).

Personal Style is a state of mind.  It depicts your likes, dislikes and life experiences.  It shows the world a bit of your soul.  It is easy, because it is innate.  It is a celebration of who you are. Unencumbered by glossy advertizing or someone else's idea of what you should look like.   PS is simply the outward reflexion of who you are.

To start, I'd like to share my own PS progression.  This is not about showing you how great I think I look.  But it is about showing that I can celebrate looking the way I do.  It all started in high-school. I met this girl who was always doodleing her fashion designs (she had talent)  and she always wore this heavy eyeliner.  Back then I wasn't into make up, but then I figured I should try it.  Guess what... It worked.  I find that I can look FABULOUS with thick eyeliner on. :)  The next natural step was the Geeky Computer Girl look... so I had short hair always with a hair pin to the side, thick framed glasses, tight tops and a little attitude.  Next was my China Doll period:  again short super dark hair, thick eyeliner and fun exotic prints.  And then there is my Dutch period (the look that I am about to go plant some tulips in my backyard), wich I seem to return to over and over... this might just be my signature look.  It is how I feel most comfortable.  It reflects all the stages of my personal style development (thick eyeliner, fit tops, exotic prints, plus a vest, loose pants and clog like shoes. 



If you know me personally, you have seen me strutting around wearing some variation of the above outfit. I love this line from the old series, Designing Women, used to comment on Julia Sugarbaker:  "She wears money like last year's clothes".  Well, I'd like to wear my clothes like last year's clothes.

I'd like to finish by borrowing from Martha, and presenting you with a few "Gentle Reminders":  dress your age, don't show too much skin, beware of color changes (dark hair and pale skin is not for everyone), evolve.

In the upcoming weeks, I will be sharing pictures of real people, just like you and me, who make their own choices on what works for them. They wear it with confidence and panache... I hope it will inspire you.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails