Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Great Debate: Yoga Pagoda vs Yoga Yurt

So I opened my big fat mouth over at Susan Fox's blog, Love Where You Live, this week.  She asked the question "What do you think of my meditation yoga room?" regarding the possibility of her building a yurt as a meditation/guest house.  If you don't know what a yurt is... read on.

via Wikipedia
According to the great Wikipedia oracle, a yurt "is a portable, felt-covered, wood lattice-framed dwelling structure traditionally used by nomads in the steppes of Central Asia." (For my college readers: remember Erin from Exiled,  MTV's spin off of My Super Sweet 16, who was sent to Mongolia to live with some gypsies?  One of those.)  The Western version is an adaptation of these structures using high tech materials, less easily movable, and designed for the different weather conditions of its enthusiasts.

via Susan's Blog
Susan is a contributing editor for Traditional Home and owns The Green Plum, a boutique furniture shop, in Salida, Colorado.  So when she posts this question, I am sure she has already done her homework and knows what she wants.  But that has never stopped me from voicing my opinion before, so I went ahead and put my foot in my mouth... as usual.   So my words exactly were "[something nice]...I'd much rather have a pagoda...[more nice stuff]"

So to redeem myself, I have spent the better part of my free time away from my 18 month old son hunting for awesome, mind blowing, knock your socks off examples of fantastically fabulous pagoda buildings that could be used even in the most harsh winter conditions. Indulge me...

credit Burmese pagodas/temples built in the 11th-13th centuries.

Here is my connection between Yoga and the Pagoda, from this point on to be known as the Yoda.  Again, according to the oracle of wiki, what we call a Pagoda is an evolution of the ancient Indian stupa, a structure where sacred relics were kept and venerated.  This concept spread out throughout Asia and its form assumed the characteristics of each new country.

In the western world, the pagoda became popular around the 18th century, when the trade of goods from the far off lands inspired architects and designers as well as the poets and artists of the Romantic era.  These buildings, however, were nothing more than beautiful western structures embellished with some more exotic features such as a curved roofline and hanging cornice.


                                 
credit The Pagoda at Alexandra Park, Oldham, England


Georgian Pagoda at Blackheath, London photographed by the very friendly The Blackheath Bugle

credit Patterson Park Pagoda, Baltimore MD

The conclusion: If one is really inclined to build a pagoda to be used as living quarters in a harsh environment, and one had the means to do it, it can be done.  Just have a fabulous architect draw out a western version befitting your house, and hire one of the fabulous designer bloggers to decorate it. For the rest of us, there are two options:  build your own, here, or buy this gorgeous one from Rowlinson for under 1,200 GBP (under $2,000 US dollars).

I would paint it a fun shade of aqua, or apple green and white, or coral and white.  Hang some pretty  floral fabric panels on the inside.  Stick some incense sticks in a funky chinoiserie container and call it done.


OR...

 credit Napping pagoda in Bali


Susan, darling, can I convince you to build your Yoda at your house here in Galveston and have me over for some Bloody Marys?



AND NOW ON A COMPLETELLY DIFFERENT SUBJECT, I WOULD LIKE TO THANK KELLY AT CHATELAINE RANCH FROM OUT OF COLORADO FOR THE MOST LOVELY, SWEET WORDS ABOUT MY BLOG AND MYSELF.  I AM SOOO FLATTERED.  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

 

18 comments:

ArchitectDesign™ said...

yoda, pagoda, yoga - they're all beautiful structures with exaggerated rooflines! Love these examples, especially the Georgian house with that pagoda roof. INSANE!

Emily said...

We have camped in a yurt here in Colorado, but I'm thinking a pagoda (swoon!) would be an adventure! Ha! Fun post to read and gorgeous pictures!

The Shiny Pebble said...

Thanks Emily. What and adventure! Welcome!

My Galveston Cottage said...

Chica,
I love this post! And what gorgeous photos -- especially Benedict's. All stunning. Wonderful architectural personality. Sorry, love, can't build the "Yoda," albeit very-very appealing, on Galveston island. No space, unfortunately. We sized down our yard during our last month -- and for reason. While I adore your Yodas, I don't see them as being complimentary to the log house we have in Colorado. (Well, maybe if we lived in Crestone.) With that said, I will keep this in mind for future!!! I do have a nice screened porch for the bloodies, tho.

nelya said...

Yoda, yoda, yoda...I want one now. Of course, my neighborhood covenants would never allow it, but a girl can dream.

Great post, Catherine!

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm blushing! First, thank you so much for the shout out! I adore your blog and really want to spread the word! You're cracking me up - Yoda! I'm thinking I need the one from Rowlinson! I'd paint it high gloss black with pretty paper lanterns hanging everywhere and a pair of chinoiserie chaise's to lounge on. Just dreamy!

Beth Connolly said...

A gorgeous roundup. That Georgian pagoda roof is incredible.

The Shiny Pebble said...

Thank you all for commenting. I had fun writing this post in the wee hrs of the morning - uninterrupted. :)

Amy said...

Very cool post, I laughed out loud because my husband would LOVE to live in a yurt-men, what can ya do with 'em. I'll have to show him your post tonight :) *Amy

Coryanne Ettiene | Kitchen Living with Coryanne said...

this may sound odd, but I spent a spring in a Yurt in grater China and it was amazing! The traditional ones have 'summer' versions that are basically removing the walls to leave you with a tent of sorts. I would love to get on in Arizona, if I did I would paint the exterior with some lovely design, so it blended with its settings more. But the Pagoda is another great option. Having just researched garden design for our house, the question has to be asked, what plants are you using? it would look a bit odd if you went for the one option but did not buy plants to compliment it. I really love the image with all the glass and windows, stunning. Let me know what you do.

The Shiny Pebble said...

Housewife Bliss, I did not have you for the wild andventurous type... What a unique experience. I see what you are saying with having the landscape reflect the architecture, but I kinda of like the unexpected. And as far as what I am going to do... No plans for any structures (other than maybe a swingset) for my new garden. :) Thanks for sharing.

The Shiny Pebble said...

Poof... Be gone! :)

OneCraftyFox said...

Fantastic! For me my yoga sanctuary is at the studio, either that or my living room floor :)

Pauline Wiles said...

I'm not sure either style would look quite right with our current house (!), but I do like the pagoda pictures you found.

The Shiny Pebble said...

Hi OneCraftyFox, I love you little stationery gift set giveaway. I hope my readers go ck it out. :)
The last day to enter is the 31st.
http://onecraftyfox.blogspot.com/2010/03/from-gift-bag_23.html

The Shiny Pebble said...

Thanks Struggler. I think these things only work in really large properties, tucked away somewhere. :)

Millie said...

Oh Catherine, this Miss Millie's post of the week! Just loved it, thanks for the many smiles I had while reading it.
M ^_^

The Shiny Pebble said...

Thank you Miss Millie for stopping by and commenting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails