Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Stickies on the Walls

I was doing a little blogsurfing the other day (actually every day, throughout the day , AND at all times of the day and sometimes night) and stopped at one of my favorites, Chinoiserie Chic, whose writer is a designer from Virginia.   In this particular entry she was giving an example of a tiny entryway decorated with chinoiserie, her daughter's.   They used a lovely irridescent gold Ikea wall decal in the hallway to the main living area. It looked great and it inspired me to do this post!



Design direction is not my intent, as I am more of a consumer of goods and services, rather than a provider.  So with that in mind, I'd love to share with you all what I did to my son's nursery.  I am not one to have decals all over the house.  And printed catchy phrases, to me, should be left to books and advertizing and made famous by witty blog writers...  But I do have a thing for monograms.  And as a side note, I can't stand it when someone doesn't follow the correct order of the initials.

Back to my son's nursery. 

See the painting on the right.  It is there for a very functional reason.  As much as I wanted to, it is just not safe to put a painting over a baby's crib.  Way too many "what ifs" could hapen, so just DON'T.
This is Tuco, one of our two Weimeraners
Notice the weird sheen on the walls, this is RL's Candlelight.  It does NOT photograph well, because of the flash.  And it needs to be applied by a good professional, otherwise you can see the marks by the ceiling. My professional wasn't so good!  The base coat is RL's Fairy Wren.  It really looked dreamy when the light hit it just so.  If I had to do it over, maybe I'd use a stencil and fill in with the candlelight.

But back to my point...  See those ducks? Those were Tuesday Morning finds, which I custom painted with spots and highlights in silver.  They are also the theme for the room.  You will see them in little details here: 

No flash in this picture, so the walls look normal

And here:

Initially I considered having an artist come and paint the monogram.  But then I realized that decals are just the perfect solution for what to put over the baby's crib.  It is safe and economical.  No hazardous paintings and in a couple of years, instead of painting over the whole wall to adjust to the new decor, all you have to do is peel it off.  Easy, Breezy.  This is also a great idea for renters. 

Darn'd flash again, but I wanted to show you the bubbles in the bath.
Here is the basecolor without Candlelight
I had lots of fun placing the bubbles
I had these vinyl decals made to order through a home based business in Owasso that I found where else but in the internet. They worked out a design from my specifications, produced proofs, and then printed and mailed them upon my approval. That was a custom product for the price of stickers. Literally. No additional fees for creating the design or anything. Loved that!

Two weeks before his birth, I started making him burp cloths...  I made at least 30... Big time nesting!
So now to the burning question:  What is the correct order for monograming?  Traditionally, the correct order is First- Last- Middle initials.  You will notice that above the crib I used dots separating each letter, which went well with the bubble sub-theme of the room, and also dictated that in this case the letters would read First-Middle-Last. If you want to get in the minutiae of monogramming, go here.

20 comments:

Pauline Wiles said...

I noticed the ducks straight away, they are just lovely. And I hear you, regarding paintings over cribs - in earthquake land (here), they tell us not to hang anything over any bed. Not that I always listen, but I do try to remember and avoid the really heavy items!

The Shiny Pebble said...

Wow you always come up with the most insightful stuff. I never thought about the earthquake factor. That could totally ruin your evening. LOL

Tracy F. said...

Just found you through Cote de Texas. I'm enjoying reading through your archives. Lovely, serene nursery for your new little guy.

The Shiny Pebble said...

Hi Tracy, thanks for stopping by. I'll come over to visit your blog. Don't you love these unannounced visits. But as Southerners (I'm originally from Brazil, but I consider myself a Southerner), we are ALWAYS ready for company. :)

Beth Connolly said...

The monogram above the crib is pure genius. And thanks for the mention of Chinoiserie Chic!

The Shiny Pebble said...

Thanks... A friend had mentioned it, but I wanted it to be massive and have a specific design. I liked the results.

Unknown said...

i couldn't agree with you more about monograms. anything worth doing is worth doing right! the nursery is adorable and i love the lamp! you should rethink the bit about not giving design direction because i think you have pretty exceptional taste :) i would love to see more of your home!

Silvia C said...

I just found your blog and I'm a new follower. You have GREAT writing style. Love to read your posts. Take care.

The Shiny Pebble said...

Thanks Design Darling... I have been having lots of fun following your posts. If I don't have you on my bloglist I'll put both your blogs up today. :)

The Shiny Pebble said...

Casa Bella, welcome to my world and thanks for the sweet compliment. I'm heading over to your blog. Visiting blogs is like going into someone's home (sometimes literally). It is always fun to see how other people live/think/write...

Anonymous said...

Hey C,

First off, good job! I love your walls. Second, as far as the order of initials for the monogram? Depends on where you're from.
(I think)

The Shiny Pebble said...

Hmmmm... you might have a point, Herself. I can see how in some countries even the name order is different, so maybe the protocol for monogramming could possibly be different as well?

The Shiny Pebble said...

I forget how blogging is such a world wide, far reaching medium. Love that!

Marija said...

Love a pretty monogram - personalized jewelry is my absolute fave! You won't catch me in someone else's intials or name (love everything else you do, tiffany &co :) Marija

The Shiny Pebble said...

Hi Marija,
welcome! and I'm with you, no for wearing someone elses monograms. They don't pay me to wear their logos right?

Unknown said...

Catherine: Your blog is coming along great! I'm enjoying reading it today as I eat my lunch at my desk. Regarding monograms: I learned that the only time you put the last name initial in the middle is when it is the largest of the three, and the first and middle are smaller on either side. Like, my initials are CMH and if I wanted to have the traditional monogram it would be cHm (not lowercase, but you get my point).

The Shiny Pebble said...

Hi Carol! Thanks for reading my blog and you are right. The last name initial has to be larger when placed in the middle. I ommited that little detail. Thanks for clearing it up. I'm glad you are enjoying the read on your lunchbreak. Come back anytime.

Jess said...

Ok... I LOVE the nursery! We are working on ours for baby #2 now, and I just love the colors you selected. We painted RL Fairy Wren in our downstairs living area-- what a gorgeous color! Isn't it so sad that RL is gone from Home Depot-- what a heartbreaker!! They really had the best colors!

The Shiny Pebble said...

Hi Jess, and thanks! Since then I have moved to another State and used to get complements all the time from the house-hunters. I'm yet to do something with his room at this house... Too many other pressing projects. Thanks again and a BIG Congrats on baby number two. :)

Allie and Pattie said...

Love it! And interesting about the candlelight at the ceiling line. I was actually considering using it on a project that I'm contemplating- that's very good to know
xoxo Pattie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails